Now that the weather is changing, many of us are probably noticing changes in the lips. Our lips don’t have sebaceous gland so it makes sense to apply lip balm to prevent chapping and make them look as fabulous as possible. Hence, let’s move on to the actual battle where I am going to share some strengths and weaknesses of some fantastic lip balms, I have tried so that before you try any of these, you know what to expect.
- Nuxe Reve de Miel- I love french pharmacy products and this is one of the best lip balms I have tried. The packaging is beautiful. The glass jar gives a sense of luxury and the balm in it has a nice matte texture that is highly nourishing. It contains honey, sweet almond oil, beeswax, shea butter and smells quiet nice. I used it in the morning and at night with no irritation. I also did not feel the need to reapply with chapsticks every now and again when I applied it. This is not the cheapest one out there but you get a lot of product (15 g) and a little goes a long way. This is a cult classic for a reason.
- Burts Bees- This is a very pleasant experience to use but you probably are aware of the fact that lip balm addiction is not ideal for your lips and all those miny and tingly feelings that burts bees offer can be irritating and addictive. However, I did not have any irritation and liked the texture and enjoyed the hydrating effect. Like Nuxe, this is also made with beeswax and some other natural ingredients. Being in a chapstick packaging means, it is more hygienic as you do not need to use your finger, which makes it ideal to carry it when you are out and about to feed lip balm addiction, if you have any.
- La Roche Posay Cicaplast- This is an ideal lip balm if your lips are sensitive especially to fragrance. It is very lightweight and it does not feel sticky at all. You can apply this directly from the tube, which makes it hygienic and convenient.
- EOS lip balm- This is FUN. It looks cute and you can choose from a wide variety of smell you like. It tastes sweet and the texture is buttery. You or your partner wouldn’t regret licking it(just saying). It is naughty, nourishing and addictive.
- Ultrasun- While many of us are happy with our sunscreen applications, I suppose some of us are still forgetting to apply it on our lips. A lip balm with sunscreen like this one from ultrasun can come handy and useful if you are not happy with applying a regular sunscreen on your lips. Trust me, I tried sunscreen for face on my lips and hated the taste because it somehow goes to my mouth even when I am not licking. Moving on, it is a broad spectrum, fragrance-free, moisturising lip balm that does not break the bank. It works beautifully with a lip tint/stain or as a base for any lipstick.
- Lanolips- This is a great non-addictive, tinted lip balm that stays put. It gives a long-lasting, shiny, lustrous plumped up look with a slight hint of colour. If I am heavy handed and over apply it, any excess product from my lips goes on my cheekbones as a subtle highlighter. It has SPF 30 which makes it ideal for keeping in my bag. They also have untinted lip balms that are just as good.
I do not solely rely on lip balms to take care of my lips. My lip care routine involves:
-using a lip scrub to exfoliate my lips only if needed
-applying serums and eye creams on my lips (morning and night), e.g, vit c as I have some pigmentations
-applying lip balm at the end of my skincare routine (morning and night)
-using a lip balm with sun protection just like I would use sunscreen on the rest of my face
If you have read it this far, it’s your turn to recommend me your favourite lip balm in the comments below and follow my blog and socials to stay connected.